M.Sc. Botany is a postgraduate course. Botany or plant biology is a branch of biology that involves the scientific study of plant life. Botany covers a wide range of scientific disciplines concerned with the study of plants, algae and fungi, including structure, growth, reproduction, metabolism, development, diseases, chemical properties, and evolutionary relationships among taxonomic groups. The course covers all the related topics of the study fields. The course syllabus is designed in a way it will not only imparts the theoretical but practical training also.
Eligibility & Admission
|Registration Fee (One Time)||15,000/-INR|
- Be proficient in integrating knowledge and applying their understanding in identifying problems and producing powerful solutions.
- Attain professional competence, intellectual maturity and personal growth along with a commitment for ethical development of the industry.
- An ability to analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution.
- An ability to function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal.
Programme Education Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO1 To create knowledge about core areas related to the field of Medical Laboratory.
- PEO2 Analyze, interpret and apply concepts of clinical testing for healthcare decision making.
- PEO3 To exhibit the knowledge of entrepreneurial qualities and explore entrepreneurial opportunities by Working effectively and professionally in teams and enabling them to evaluate investment.
- PEO4 To employ interpersonal communication skills in relaying laboratory test information and when interacting with patients, lab personnel and other health care professionals.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- PO1 To enrich students’ knowledge and train them in various branches of Botany such as Cell biology, plant Physiology, genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, plant ecology, Taxonomy bioanalytical techniques.
- PO2 The students will learn wide variety of roles microorganisms play, modern microbiology has made a significant contribution to various fields, including medicine, agriculture, food sciences, ecology, genetics, biochemistry, and molecular biology. The graduates of this program will be able to retain and apply a variety of microbiological concepts and knowledge upon graduation.
- PO3 Students learn to integrate science with society for the overall development of the nation. Are charged with the concepts to take up higher studies, set up small scale industries, develop confidence to take up challenging tasks of research in the field of botany.
- PO4 The program will also provide a platform for classical genetics in order to understand distribution or inheritance of different traits and diseases among populations, their ethnicity and correlate with contemporary and modern techniques like genomics, metagenomics, genome editing and molecular diagnostic tools.
- PO5 The program helps to develop scientific tempers and attitudes, which in turn can prove to be beneficial for the society since the scientific developments can make a nation or society to grow at a rapid pace.
- PO6 After the completion of this course, students have the option to go for higher studies, 7 i.e., M. Sc. Ph.D. and then do research work for the welfare of mankind.
- PO7 The program helps to develop scientific tempers and attitudes, which in turn can prove to be beneficial for the society since the scientific developments can make a nation or society to grow at a rapid pace.
- PO8 The program helps to develop scientific tempers and attitudes, which in turn can prove to be beneficial for the society since the scientific developments can make a nation or society to grow at a rapid pace.
- PO9 After higher studies, students can join as scientist or assistant professor or assistant teacher and can even look for professional job oriented courses, such as Indian Civil Services, Indian Forest Service, Indian Police Service etc.
- PO10 Science graduates can go to serve in industries or may opt for establishing their own industrial unit. Practical and theoretical skills gained in this program will be helpful in designing different public health strategies for social welfare.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- PSO1 Students enrolled in M.Sc. degree program in Botany obtain a comprehensive understanding of disciplinary and allied biological disciplines.
- PSO2 Students will learn several subjects covered in the core course, including biochemistry, cell biology, virology, molecular biology, and Biochemistry, along with microorganism morphology, physiology, and function. Upon graduation, students will gain a deeper understanding of Botany, starting with a basic understanding of microbes, basic laboratory techniques, and fundamental knowledge.
- PSO3 In this course, students will learn how to use and maintain basic microbiological equipment as well as perform basic laboratory procedures in microbiology, as well as how to collect and submit microbiological and parasitological specimens.
- PSO4 Students will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience using state-of-the-art laboratory equipment in the skill enhancement elective course, which will allow them to conduct high throughput studies on microorganisms as well as perform diagnostic procedures for the food and dairy industries.
Students can go for many fields in botany such as Plant Taxonomists, Ethnobotanists, Pathologists, Palaeobotanists and Palynologists, Plant cytologists, Plant geneticists, Plant ecologists, Plant Scientists and Weed Scientists etc. • Candidates who have advanced qualifications can pursue either an academic career in institutions as lecturers and professors, or a scientific career in various scientific positions such as Plant Scientists, Weed Scientists etc. They can also go and work as researchers and as administrators. They have also the option in the Botanical Survey of India and other Government departments but only through UPSC exams. Employment areas in private sector are drug companies, nurseries, biotechnology firms, food companies, oil industry, fruit growers, seed companies, chemical companies, lumber or paper companies, biological supply houses and in government sector- national park service, departments of environmental protection, departments of conservation and land management, departments of agriculture and water), animal and plant health inspection services, nature conservancy, public health service, environmental protection agency, Smithsonian Institute, Department of Agriculture, medical plant resources laboratory and forest service. Typical job profiles are content analyst – botany, sales & marketing executive, area business manager – bio-products, research associates, trainee medical representative, medical coders, diagnostic specialists, clinical data analysts, biotech marketing executives, marketing managers, teachers & lecturers.