The major objective of the programme is to impart advanced learning to eligible candidates in fundamental principles of Structural Analysis and design. Students are trained to implement such principles through different methods in analyses of various types of structures, and to evaluate force and displacement parameters of such structures. M.Tech Structural Engineering Syllabus has been designed to produce engineers specialized in design, construction, repair, rehabilitation, and conservation, and maintenance of stability of structures. The course aims at providing civil engineering graduates with an advanced conceptual understanding in, and advanced knowledge and technical skills required for analyses and design of structures such as dams, bridges, pipelines, roads, towers and buildings, transport systems, airports, and railways.. It involves the advance study of the courses components such as structural mechanics , finite element analysis , structural dynamics , structural reliability and pre-stress concrete etc.
Eligibility & Admission
Students of this program will be able to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of Structural Engineering discipline and build capability to apply that knowledge to real problems.
Students will gain knowledge and skill in integrating Structural engineering concepts across multiple disciplines.
Students will have the ability to employ technical knowledge and leadership skills to Structural Engineering research and consultancy problems.
Students of Structural Engineering program will demonstrate the ability to carry out original and useful research in key areas of Structural Engineering.
To expose the graduate students to advanced Structural Analysis, Structural Dynamics, allied theory in elasticity and plasticity, FEM etc.
To impart training to graduate students in behavior and design of Advanced RC structures, behavior and design of Advanced Steel structure, latest procedures in earthquake resistant design practices and earthquake resistant design philosophies.
To expose the graduate students to latest design codes, current national and international scenario on Structural Engineering and to motivate them in interdisciplinary involvement in problems related to Structural Engineering.
To orient the graduate students to high value research related to Structural Engineering so that they get impetus to pursue research and lifelong learning.
Programme Education Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO1 To mould the students to become effective global science students in the competitive environment of modern society.
- PEO2 To provide students with strong foundation in contemporary practices of Science, different functional areas and scientific environment.
- PEO3 To develop human potential to its fullest extent so that intellectually capable and imaginatively gifted leaders can emerge in range of professions.
- PEO4 To develop communication, analytical, decision-making, motivational, leadership, problem solving and human relations skills of the students.
- PEO5 To inculcate professional and ethical attitude in students.
- PEO6 To pursue lifelong learning as a means of enhancing knowledge and skills necessary to contribute to the betterment of profession.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- PO1 An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems.
- PO2 An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document.
- PO3 Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery for designing and solving structural engineering problems.
- PO4 An ability to use appropriate modern tools in structural engineering. In doing so he should demonstrate sufficient knowledge of competing tools and their relative merits and demerits.
- PO5 An ability to demonstrate the traits of learning and unlearning throughout his professional career, and be willing to learn new techniques, methods and processes.
- PO6 To impart practical knowledge to become a responsible engineer adhering to all established practices of his profession.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- PSO1 Development of professional skills in the area of Structural Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Geo-informatics & Remote sensing, and Construction techniques & management.
- PSO2 Application of relevant aspects of mathematics in engineering analysis and design.
- PSO3 Refurbishing of technical communication skills.
- PSO4 Application of these principles and practices to problems related to Civil Engineering and other allied technical & industrial fields.
- PSO5 Work as design consultants in construction industry for the design of civil engineering structures.
The job of a Structural Engineer is very closely related to that of Civil Engineer. They are primarily concerned with designing and constructing buildings and structures that are safe and capable of withstanding the elements to which they may get exposed, as well as improving the structural integrity of existing buildings. Structural Engineers design, plan and oversee the construction of new buildings and bridges or other structures. Successful completion of the course opens numerous opportunities in both government and private sectors in the country, such as government departments like Central Public Works Department, Railways, Metro Rail, Highways, Indian Aluminum Limited, Besides Self employment opportunities as consultants.