M.Tech Geotechnical engineering is a 2-year course. Geotechnical engineering is branch of civil engineering concerned with the engineering behavior of soil earth materials apart from it is importance in civil engineering. It is also used by military, mining, petroleum, or any other engineering concerned with construction on orin the ground. Including dams, embankments, foundation, retaining walls, anchors, tunnels and all other structures directly interacting with the subsoil, both onshore and offshore. It shares common interest with other discipline such as engineering geology, structure engineering or petroleum engineering. The subjects in the course includes, aeromechanics, earthquake engineering and soil dynamics beside the study of site improvement, ground water, pollutant transport, chemical behavior of soil and waste disposal facilities.
Eligibility & Admission
An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems related to Production and Industrial Engineering
An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document.
Demonstrate skills to use modern engineering tools, software and equipments to analyze problems and evolve solutions.
To enhance communication skills and successfully apply research aptitude among students to R &D activities and consultancy works.
Post-Graduates will be engineering practitioners and leaders, who would help solve industry’s technological problems.
Post-Graduates will be engineering professionals, innovators or entrepreneurs engaged in technology development, technology deployment, or engineering system implementation in industry.
Post-Graduates will function in their profession with social awareness and responsibility.
Post-Graduates will interact with their peers in other disciplines in industry and society and contribute to the economic growth of the country.
Post-Graduates will be successful in pursuing higher studies in engineering or management.
- Post-Graduates will pursue career paths in teaching or research.
Programme Education Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO1 To mould the students to become effective global science students in the competitive environment of modern society.
- PEO2 To provide students with strong foundation in contemporary practices of Science, different functional areas and scientific environment.
- PEO3 To develop human potential to its fullest extent so that intellectually capable and imaginatively gifted leaders can emerge in range of professions.
- PEO4 To develop communication, analytical, decision-making, motivational, leadership, problem solving and human relations skills of the students.
- PEO5 To inculcate professional and ethical attitude in students.
- PEO6 To pursue lifelong learning as a means of enhancing knowledge and skills necessary to contribute to the betterment of profession.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- PO1 Independently carry out research/investigation and development work to solve practical problems.
- PO2 Write and present a substantial technical report/document
- PO3 Demonstrate a degree of mastery over geotechnical engineering.
- PO4 Identify Engineering solutions to problematic soils and provide suitable foundation.
- PO5 Apply modern tools for designing geo technical structures.
- PO6 Work in inter-disciplinary engineering teams with social responsibility and ethical values and pursue lifelong learning.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- PSO1 Development of professional skills in the area of Structural Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Geo-informatics & Remote sensing, and Construction techniques & management.
- PSO2 Application of relevant aspects of mathematics in engineering analysis and design.
- PSO3 Refurbishing of technical communication skills.
- PSO4 Application of these principles and practices to problems related to Civil Engineering and other allied technical & industrial fields.
- PSO5 Work as design consultants in construction industry for the design of civil engineering structures.
Career opportunities in the government and private sectors galore for qualified Geotechnical Engineers. Organizations involved in construction of commercial buildings, public structures, and other manmade structures, mining, extraction of petroleum and natural gas, construction firms, consultancies, infrastructure development recruit such geotechnical engineers. Public sector organizations such as PWD, Municipal Corporations, Urban planning departments, Government Port Trusts, ONGC, NHAI, Indian Railways, and Metro Rail Corporations etc. are some other popular recruiters in the discipline. Geotechnical Engineers are typically involved in duties such as site supervision, inspection of soil, rocks, bedrock, project analysis, design and construction of foundation and other necessary structures, etc. Usually, their job involves site work, supervision, design, cost estimation, and project management.